Friday, December 19, 2008

Working is getting in the way of my baking.

I still haven't been able to make the Fruitcake Cookies! I had hoped to have them made last week, but working the way I have been this month (Christmas is a groomer's busiest time of year) & trying to get all the things packed up to move to our new house has slowed my baking progress way down. I do hope to remedy that tomorrow.
Our Kennel Club is having their annual Christmas party tomorrow night in Jonesborough & I can't wait to get in the middle of our gift exchange. Everyone that wants to participate brings a wrapped gift that is appropriate for a male or female & places it under the tree, then we all draw numbers. Number 1 picks a present from under the tree, unwraps it for all to see, number 2 then has the option to pick from under the tree or steal the present that number 1 got! If that happens the person stolen from picks another from under the tree. Number 3 comes next & they then have the option of stealing either of the first 2 presents or picking from the tree & on goes the game until all the gifts are spoken for. After 3 steals, the gift is retired & can't be stolen anymore. It's tons of fun & sometimes it can get rather hairy. Hope I draw a number closer to the back of the line rather than the front, more to pick from that way. LOL
It's pot-luck so I am making Cowboy Beans for the gathering. We have some great cooks in the club so we will eat some good food, enjoy some good company & have lots of fun tomorrow night.
I plan to make my fruitcake cookies tomorrow in between packing & getting other things done around here. Hubby is bringing one of the Penske trucks home so we can start moving bigger things like furniture into the house! HURRAY!! I am so ready to be in our little house on the ridge.
So I leave you with the Fruitcake cookie recipe & tomorrow I hope to get some pictures I took of a couple of the "kids" today in their Santa hat.
Blessings & enjoy your cookies.
Angie

Fruitcake Cookies

cream together:
1/2 lb butter
1 c brown sugar
Add 4 eggs, beat well
then add:
3 tsp. baking soda
3 tbls milk, beat well
Sift together:
3 c. flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
Alternately add to mix:
1/2 c. bourbon
flour mixture
next, add:
2 lbs. pecans (chopped)
1 lb. green candied cherries
1 lb. red candied cherries
1 lb. candied pineapple
1 lb. golden raisins

Drop in balls on greased cookie sheet, bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes


1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm not a big fan of fruitcake cookies, but I love gift exhanges. I have also been known to whine from time to time when I end up with a "Nervous Nellie" fake break for a car or a goofy hat with a cup and straw hanging from it. =) Have a great time!!!