Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bullies, Birds & 1 Terrier Mix

Today was what I call a typical day in the Crabtree house/grooming salon. Now most folks would look at what I call 'typical' and they would use something like 'crazy' or maybe 'nuts' or they might think of calling the men in the white suits to haul me off to the institution, but alas, it was a typical day for me.
As usual, I did NOT want to get out of that bed when the alarm clock went off, there is no such thing as a snooze button at this house either, btw. To Pappy, my 6 month old Bull Terrier puppy, that noise means breakfast, so, unless I want to hear the barking version of an alarm clock, I might as well not bother with the snooze button. Off I go to get breakfast ready for him and Peggy Sue, the Toy Poodle. This morning was gizzards for them and coffee for me. I was barely awake when Justin came upstairs ready for work and needing a ride! I haven't even had 3 sips of coffee and I have to get dressed and drive somewhere?! For crying out loud! I was not happy about it, but if they don't work, we don't get rent and since he doesn't have his driver's license yet, and I'm the only driver in the house at that time, guess I drew the short straw. I should have let that be an indication of the day to come!
My first grooming client was a little Poodle I have been grooming for a while and was no trouble at all, he's very good to groom. In the middle of his grooming, I had to stop and move Chico, our Blue Front Amazon outside, he was screaming so loud I bet the neighbors thought someone was being tortured in here. I go through this about every 2 weeks with that bird, when Bo-Rounds from Bojangles won't shut him up it means he wants outside to sun for a while. We closed his cage door and locked it with the padlock (he can open all the others) and out to the carport he went. He spent the morning out there and tonight I have a tired, but happy and more importantly quiet Amazon. Hopefully he won't start that nonsense again tomorrow, moving that cage is not an easy task.
After the client picked up her little Poodle, I made my way back upstairs to let the "kids" out and see what Pappy was barking about. As I round the corner from the hall, I hear JoJo, the Quaker saying "Pappy, Pappy, Paaa-py", that little green chicken has learned not only how to say his name, but to tease him while he's doing it! Well no wonder Pappy is throwing a fit, from his crate he can hear the bird, but he can't see him, it was driving him crazy! Into his barking mouth goes a peanut butter filled cow hoof and JoJo got a piece of the Bo-Round that I saved for him, after I told him to quit teasing the dog and to settle down, his reply? "Gimme Sugars, mmmm Gooood Sugars" That little green menace knows how to play me and I freely admit it. ;)
I have some errands to run and since I have a little extra time I head out to get those done, off I go to get the dog's treats, grain-free, since Feather has grain allergies and the only place to get those is the pet store, I get there to find they have 4 bags of them left and all 4 bags have different prices on them! Needless to say, I got the cheapest 2 bags and asked them what was the deal, the kid behind the counter looks at me like I'm from Mars and says he doesn't know. Well, I know, I've bought these for quite a while and I know how much they are. After telling him what the price was, 15 minutes later he finally found it in the computer look up, says "Hmm, you're right" tells me how much my bill is, shoves the receipt at me and picks up his cellphone! Oh well, why not?
By then, it's time for me to go pick up my next grooming dog, a little Scottie/Cairn mix named Pepper, that is wound tighter than an 8 day clock, but cute as the dickens and very good to groom even with it being his first grooming. I had a ball playing with him, he's a blast! I think he was on sensory overload with all the dogs here and the birds and the chickens he saw next door, I bet he thought he was at an amusement park! Here is the best picture I could get of him, he would hold still long enough to get a great shot of him.

Before getting Pepper back home, it was time for Pappy to have his lunch, cottage cheese with sliced bananas, he loves it, but he has the hardest time getting all the cottage cheese out of the bowl and in his mouth, it's a comedy just watching him. I took this picture a few days ago, but it could be any day he has cottage cheese, his nose is covered like that every time!


So you see, typical around here is certainly not boring, how can it be when I live with Bull Terriers and demanding birds?? No wonder my hair is getting grayer as we speak.
Oh, did I mention Racy, my Chinese Crested is in season and I didn't get a chance to pick up the stud dog before running out of time tonight? Guess, Racy will have to wait for her "date" until morning.
Good night folks, I'm going to bed and dream about starting it all over again tomorrow! Oh, Joy! NOT
Puppy hugs, birdie sugars and Bullie kisses to you all.

1 comment:

Romeena said...

What a fun read! Makes my day sound easy, and I live with a 4 1/2 lb ball of fluff and dynamite. At least I don't have to live with smartmouth birdies! My brother-in-law once had a parrot who would see the cat stroll into the room and would scream "Put the cat out! Put the cat out!" at top volume, which as you know is considerable. It was hilarious.

Blessings!